Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Can I get some help?

Hi ya%26#39;ll. I live in New Jersey, and I am a frequent vacationer of Ocean City, Maryland. I am relocating to the Raleigh area this summer, and I will need to find a new vacation spot. I love Ocean City, Maryland, but I do not want to drive all that way. I was thinking either virginia beach or Myrtle beach. does anyone have any tips or suggestions as to which one I should go to? restaurants? shops? hotels? (I would prefer a Days Inn) Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!



Can I get some help?


Hi, I%26#39;ve been going to MB all of my life. I like it there lots to do. I%26#39;ve never been to Va. Beach.





The easiest thing for me to tell you to do is to Google Myrtle Beach. There are several websites with lots of info.





ONe of the places I like to go is Brookgreen gardens. it is a sculpture garden and it has wildlife. It was a plantation at one time.





Shopping? They have a new Mall and tons of outlets just outside of MB.



Can I get some help?


My husband, who grew up in New Jersey, loved Myrtle Beach as a substitute for the Virginia Beach/Ocean City scene. Myrtle Beach is also very popular with folks from North Carolina. There are tons of things to do regarding shows, restaurants, %26amp; shopping - really too much to list in a single message. Just Google ';Myrtle Beach'; and you will find lots of websites describing all of the attractions. There are tons of hotels in the area. If you have kids, you may want to look into renting a condo for the week rather than a hotel room. That is what we always did, and there was not that much difference in the price (plus we had more room, a fully-equipped kitchen, and a washer/dryer - lifesavers to vacationing moms!).




I live in Raleigh and have a place in OC MD (formerely from Baltimore- that%26#39;s why). The beaches are much better here, but the food and partying are not. Your best bet (If you want an OC like experience) is Myrtle Beach (much bigger than OC, and has lots of nightlife/restaurants). It%26#39;s about 3 hours from Raleigh versus 6.5 to Ocean City. Also Kill Devil Hills/Kitty Hawk (4 Hrs) is another option since it is pretty built up. We prefer Wrightsville Beach (2 Hrs) and Atlantic Beach (2.5 hrs). You will be impressed with how much warmer and bluer the water can be. OPersonally, I%26#39;d steer clear of VA beach.




why steer clear of VA beach? Is it like OCMD? Which one is more like OCMD?




VA Beach is more ethnically diverse than OC or MB, which I tend not to relate to. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it%26#39;s just not my personal preference. Also, be careful of which weekends you choose at either beach- MB has biker%26#39;s week on Memorial Day and several other weekends, and the roar of Harley%26#39;s wear me out (you might like it). Labor Day is a primarily african-american weekend in Va Beach.



Also, to me, both Va Beach and OC have cold ocean water, and the Carolina%26#39;s have warmer, generally bluer water (unless there is a storm at sea). Add to the fact that the lodging is more expensive (since it%26#39;s close to populated areas), why bother?

No comments:

Post a Comment