Monday, April 16, 2012

Directions from Pittsburgh

It%26#39;s been a few years since we%26#39;ve been to Myrtle, heading back June 24. Looking for the best directions from Pittsburgh. Every map site lists different ways to get there. We will be staying in North Myrtle. Any help appreciated!



Directions from Pittsburgh


go to the message board at www.funbeaches.com they give the best directions and include current roadwork to avoid.



Directions from Pittsburgh


Hey Bebe...





We%26#39;ve been travelling to MB for 20 years from Toronto for 20 years. Every year on our way dowqn we%26#39;d get off at the Heidelberg exit and go to Pop and Beer 4 Less. We were like kids in a candy store with those cheep beer prices!!! You can%26#39;t imagine our disappointment to find a few years ago that they built a Wal-Mart in its place. Darnit!





Anyhow......





We take I79 south to US19 in Sutton, West Virginia





US 19 ends at I77 in Beckley, West Virginia





Follow I77 through Charlotte, North Carolina, to Hwy. 34 East .





Follow Hwy./Route 34 (about 30 miles) to Lugoff and turn right on Hwy. 601 (this is a two-mile link to I20 east)





Take I20 to the end at Florence, South Carolina, and turn left on West Palmetto St.





Stay on West Palmetto St. as it becomes US76 (or 301/76).





Take US76 east toward Marion. Hwy. 301 will veer off to the left but you stay on Hwy. 576 towards Rains and Conway.





Eventually, 576 becomes Hwy. 501.





Follow Hwy. 501 to Hwy. 22 and exit there.





Take Hwy. 22 to the end which will take you to the area of Barefoot Landing..





I hope this is detailed enough for you. I%26#39;m going by memory, so please consult an actual map.





Cheers,





Kevin




Ditto to the I77-Rt34-I20 route. Been using this route for several years. Old house in Ridgeway the wife just has to see every trip even if I have to wake her up.





Looking at a map it looks much longer than the shorter routes but there is only 30 miles difference. The higher average MPH pretty much evens out the driving times.





One thing I would do different is on I20 at Florence. As you approach I95 at Florence you%26#39;ll see signs directing beach traffic north on I95 to exit 170.



Rt 327 over to Rt76. It by passes downtown Florence. Depending on time of day could save you several minutes and much frustration.





The route changes at Marion aren%26#39;t half as confusing as it sounds. Just stay in right lane and follow signs. Road splits and you bear right to Rt 501. Won%26#39;t even realize the route numbers change.



Be honest with ya. Have been driving through there many many years and never knew there was a Rt576 until I saw it on map last month.




Oh yeah. What section of NMB? Windy Hill and Cresent run Rt 22 straight into Rt 17 at Kings Road. Head north.





Cherry Grove and Ocean Drive you%26#39;ll see Rt 31 before you hit Rt 17. Take Rt 31 north to Little River and Rt 9 into Cherry Grove.





Tip: No bathrooms on Rt 22. Hardee%26#39;s at Aynor makes great last rest stop before push to beach.




We live in Morgantown, and this will be our 20th consecutive year to MB. Here%26#39;s our directions:




- I79 South to Exit #51in West Virginia



- Rt 19 South for 70 Miles to Beckley



- I77 South for 121 miles through WV, Virginia and downhill to North Carolina



- I74/ US 52 East for 65 miles through Winston-Salem (20 miles past Winston-Salem) to Exit 89, Lexington.



- Rt 64 East (or South) 30 miles to Asheboro



- South on US 220 for 60 miles through Rockingham. Don%26#39;t turn on Rt 74, rather, continue on 220 until Interstate 74.



- East on I74/ Rt 74 for 23 miles to Laurinburg


- NOTE, on return trip, Rt 74 to exit 311 to get back on Rt 220 North)



- South on Rt. 501 for 22 miles to Rowland to Interstate 95



- I95 South for 6 miles to Dillon, South Carolina to Exit #193



- East on Rt 9 for 2 miles



- South on Rt 301 for 8 miles



- South on Rt 501 for 55 miles to Myrtle Beach



- OR, take Rt 501 for about 25 miles towards Conway, and then get off on Conway Bypass (Rt 22 East) and then it is about 30 miles to North Myrtle Beach.




when i come down from ohio i take



I-77 south to US 52 and I-74 to winston salem



then i get on I-40 east to US220 south (also future I-73 I-74)



then i take that to rockingham where i take US 1 south to SC 9 east into Bennettsville where i catch SC38 south to Marion and get on 501 to the Beach! I like this way because it can make good time and it can be a nice scenic view of south carolina




Wow! Thanks for all of the responses! Guess I%26#39;ll get out my map and check out some of these routes. Do you guys stop over a night or drive straight thru? We%26#39;re thinking of getting 6-7 hours in on Friday and finishing off in the morning.





Again, muchas gracias!




Wytheville, VA could be a good stopping point off of I-77 there many hotels right there and is about the half way point on my trip from northern ohio




Coming from Morgantown, we usually stop over in Laurinburg (about 8 hours from home). The directions I posted earlier are from a website: freetrip.com. I like their directions. They include places to stay along the way. From Pittsburgh, you might want to try Asheville or Rockingham. However, if you make it to Laurinburg, there%26#39;s a nice Holiday Inn Express with a Golden Corral next door.




from Beckley, we too, take the Winston-Salem then on to 220 route.



(Bypasing Charlotte)



Takes us between 6 1/2 and 7 1/2 hours depending on traffic around Rockingham and on 501 closer to Myrtle Beach.





BE SURE to get off of 501 onto Highway 22 before you hit Conway, SC. (just past the little town of Aynor)



22 is a fairly new 4 lane road, it saves LOTS of driving time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment