Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Trip Report – Isle of Palms, Charleston (5/27-6/2)

Four women travelers, age range, let’s just say 30’s plus. (sorry for the length of this report, but I had a lot to say I guess)

Flight %26amp; Travel:

We got an early flight into Savannah, rented a car and drove the 2.5 hours to the Isle of Palms. Car rental was onsite at the Savannah/Hilton Head airport and car pick up was right outside (easy rental and easy return). The drive was odd though. It seemed like we were lost at some points (we weren’t). I had printed directions using map quest but really wished we had a REAL map. BTW, what a nice airport!! Things were convenient, well maintained and designed well.

Wild Dunes / IOP:

We arrived at The Wild Dunes around 3:00 and our condo was not ready. While we waited, we drove to the convenience store to stock up on beer, wine and water. If you want to stock the kitchen, I suggest going to the red %26amp; white grocery instead. It is only 5 minutes further to drive and well worth it. Another weird observation, it seemed as if there was only one gas station on that side of the island. It was ALWAYS busy.

The first condo they gave us was not what we were promised when we booked. It overlooked the golf course and had an odd smell. We spent two nights there before they moved us. The second condo was nicer and overlooked the pool. A couple of observations about WD:

1. The grounds are nice and generally well kept. I did notice some debris floating in the stream by our first condo that remained there the entire week.

2. The resort is sprawling but a nice perk is the free shuttle service around the resort and to the convenience store and marina/restaurant.

3. The pool by the condo was pretty basic (think apartment pool). The Boardwalk Hotel pools were pretty (small though) and offered free cabanas on a first come first serve basis (nice). The pools at the end of the boardwalk were nice and overlooked the Atlantic. Drink and food service are provided here. Bring your own towel if you are staying in a condo. If you are in the hotel, that pool offers towels (any guest can get towels if you go to the pavilion pool but you can not take them back to the condo pool).

4. The resort offers umbrella and chair rental and if you call 24 hours in advance, they will set it up pretty much anywhere you want on their beach. Drink and food service are also provided here. There is beach access close to your condo so you don’t have to trudge through the hotel every time you want to use the beach.

5. The resort is under construction. It didn’t bother us, but I’m sure guests at the Boardwalk Inn could hear the noise.

6. We didn’t golf, but for those interested, the green fees were $130 if you were a guest and $180 if you were not. This does not include the cart. The courses were beautiful. An interesting note, one of the bartenders told us he plays golf for $11. I’m not sure, but I think that is why he is bartending at the Dunes even though he has a college degree.

7. The condos are showing their age. We experienced air conditioner problems and the odd smell in the first condo and electrical %26amp; plumbing issues in the second. The maintenance guy knew us well by the end of the trip.

8. Maid service was iffy. We didn’t see them in the first condo and they only dropped towels at the second. They did vacuum when we asked them to though.

9. The staff was very friendly and were accommodating when we requested to move condos. Spa services, drink prices, rentals, etc get pricey. The resort restaurants %26amp; marina had reasonable prices (average $22/dinner %26amp; $10/lunch).

10. Skip eating at the deli by the tennis courts. Go to the pool at the end of the boardwalk. They have the same menu but a better view and plenty of seating in the shade or sun.

11. The turtles were very cool to watch and plentiful. I only saw the alligator (maybe there is more than one) when we first got there.

12. The houses on IOP are amazing. You have to see them to believe them.

Food %26amp; Drink

1. Sea Island Grill @ The Boardwalk Hotel (WD) – Pretty much anything on the menu is outstanding (at lunch or dinner). Prices are reasonable (Average $22/dinner $10/lunch). Awesome food presentation. Friends got the flounder and raved about it. Great shrimp cocktail %26amp; seafood martini ($11). The shrimp cocktails were grilled then chilled. I will never boil again.

2. Edgar’s @ WD Golf Course – Eat at Sea Island Grill. Better atmosphere and food. I will say the Seafood Risotto I got for dinner one night was outstanding. I also had the she-crab soup and it was very tasty but rich. (Average $22/dinner $10/lunch).

3. Morgan Creek Grill @ IOP marina – Eat inside and request a window seat. It was fun watching the boats and people. The food was awesome, service great and drinks perfect. We started with the scallops and they were good (but better at Sea Island Grill). My friend got the salmon wrapped in thin slices of potato (yum) and I was craving red meat at this point so I got the filet. It had a perfect mushroom sauce and melted in your mouth. Awesome food presentation. (Average $22/dinner, lunch not available). Do your self a favor and skip the upstairs. The margaritas were bad, the beer warm and service slow. The food was blah.

4. Vickery’s @ Shem Creek Mount Pleasant – Best happy hour and the views can not be beat! We missed seeing them unload the shrimp boats but saw dolphins jumping and swimming up the creek. We did not eat here (only drinks). The food looked mostly to be comfort food and was $15 %26amp; under for meals. The portions are HUGE.

5. Waters Edge @ Shem Creek Mount Pleasant – Very nice restaurant and the prices are reasonable. We sat outside to enjoy the view, but I almost wished it would rain so I could enjoy inside too! We started with the crab dip appetizer and were not disappointed. My friend got the mussels appetizer ($10) and proceeded to make the rest of jealous. They were out of this world! There were more than enough for a full meal. The other three (me included) got the mahi stuffed with crabmeat special ($25). It was overcooked and not good. The waitress (great up until this point) did not offer to exchange our meals but instead brought us a vat of melted butter “to give it some flavor”. Yuck. I wished I had stuck with my original plan and ordered the Ahi Tuna ($11, I saw it brought to someone else and it looked delicious). Even with the waitress snafus, I would go back, if only for those mussels.

6. Red’s @ Shem Creek Mount Pleasant – We did not eat or drink here but I couldn’t resist commenting on how fun this place looked!! I got the impression that you should plan on designating a driver to stay sober early in the evening….

7. Tommy Condons, Charleston – Food was mediocre but the restaurant had personality. It would probably be fun here when they had live music. I wish we hadn’t wasted our one real meal in Charleston here.

8. The Crab Shack, Charleston – No Tina, it is NOT called the Oyster Bar. Again with the great happy hours. They had ? price appetizers so we tried the fried green tomatoes. Yummy. This place had more personality and the food was better than Tommy Condon’s.

9. The Roof Top @ Vendue Inn, Charleston – Nice view and happy hour. We only did appetizers but they were pretty good. We shared the smoked salmon with flat crackers (my fave), the baked brie w/walnuts, seafood quesadillas and fried asparagus. It was a cheap meal since they were half off. The view was a little underwhelming after Shem Creek

Charleston

1. If the main purpose of your trip is to see Charleston, stay either in Charleston or close (Mt Pleasant was only a few minutes drive). If you are going for a beach vacation, stay at The Wild Dunes or on one of the islands. It is close enough to visit Charleston for a day or two of your trip.

2. The bus tour of Charleston was kind of hokey @ $17. The time would be better spent touring the homes, buying a book and sightseeing on your own or a walking tour.

3. Take advantage of the city bus service. They have specific routes that take you around the historic areas. $4 for an all day pass. You must have exact change if you buy this on the bus. They look like trolleys but are air conditioned.

4. Don’t miss Battery Park, rainbow row, Rhett Aiken house.

5. I did not think I would enjoy the city market but found plenty of stuff to buy (it was almost embarrassing and I am not a shopper). Prices were reasonable and did not feel I was “over paying”.

6. You need an entire week to really enjoy all of Charleston. I am definitely going back with my family and doing the sightseeing thing. I am also eating at 82 Queen next time.

Misc

1. Eat or get drinks on Shem Creek one night. You will not be disappointed.

2. The Mt Pleasant farmer’s market was smaller than expected but worth the 45 minute visit. I bought my dog’s treats here (he loves them and won’t eat store bought treats now), some berries for breakfast, artichoke relish to take home, etc. We didn’t eat here but I wish we had! The food looked outstanding. I also wish I could have brought home some of the fruit.

3. I don’t get the boiled peanuts people were selling. Yuck. For that matter, I don’t get the baskets they were selling either. Very over priced and I didn’t see ANYONE buying them.

4. Eat as much seafood as you can. The freshness and taste are unbelievable (I think I just drooled a little). Always ask about the happy hour specials. What a deal.

5. We did see Savannah on the way to the airport (flight was supposed to leave at 5:30 but that is a different story) and it was interesting. I’m glad I visited, but it did not compare to Charleston.

6. Drive around and see some of the Islands. I wish we had.

7. I love how the strip malls are built around the foliage. In Indiana, we just tear down the trees.

Thanks for everyone’s tips and advice. Charleston is a very beautiful city and its residents have a lot to be proud of!

Trip Report %26ndash; Isle of Palms, Charleston (5/27-6/2)

Wow!

Fantastic report! I love to read trip reports because it helps me lean about places in the area that I haven%26#39;t been to before.

Thank you for your candor, and the time it must have taken to write all of that!!!

Come back soon!

Trip Report %26ndash; Isle of Palms, Charleston (5/27-6/2)

I am glad you had such a wonderful trip overall!! I am a little surprised about Waters Edge - we eat there often - I would have to wonder if the waitperson was newly hired for the summer and did not have the good sense to offer to fix the situation.

There is only one gas station on the Isle of Palms and only one on Sullivan%26#39;s Island and yes, they stay busy all the time. Their gas is also more expensive that what you will find in Mt. Pleasant.

Hope you get to visit again.


P. S. The boiled peanuts are a ';southern thang';, we love them, but I think you have to grow up eating them to appreciate them!


Great Trip Report!! You made that very easy to read and follow. I am glad that your overall experience with Charleston was good. We hope you will come visit again!


I agree with you about several things... some I will comment on...but most all of that is a true experience... 1) Waters Edge: never have had good food, or service here and I can%26#39;t belive that people recommen it in this board so much. 2) The baskets are expensive, and they say they are because they are hand made and only made 2 places in the wrold, one being in Charleston. 3) Boiled peanuts are a southern thang and are an acquired taste.


hope I did not give anyone the impression that I did not enjoy my trip. I am generally very honest when I write my travel reports. I always include the good with the bad. Some things I should have said:

I would go back again

The Wild Dunes is a very nice resort

The resort restaurants are excellent

I loved the beach and Atlantic

There is never enough time to do everything you want on vacation (hence the “wish we had…”)

I like to share what worked and didn’t work for me with other travelers. Hopefully this helps them avoid the “wish we had…”.

It is impossible to have a perfect trip and sometimes, that is what makes for some of the most memorable moments.

  • Do puppies lose their
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment