Friday, April 13, 2012

Traffic jams?

This is my first trip to MB, we leave on Monday. Is traffic a problem on the main roads? I don%26#39;t even know what the main roads are yet:) but I am used to driving through Pigeon Forge and wondered if MB is anything like that? You can sit for hours in PF. Should I get a local map and learn the backroads, or does traffic move more normally in MB? We are staying off of N. Kings Hwy.



Thank you!



Traffic jams?


As long as you can be patient the traffic isnt too bad, and at certain times of day its worse than others....like to head south on Rt 17 Bypass between the hours of 4 to 6pm, can be a nightmare between Rt 501 and Rt 544...most of that is us locals heading home from work...and going north on the Bypass during the dinner hour can sometime backup, but like I said, if you realize that there may be some slow spots, its not bad.





Ocean Blvd is a cruisers heaven at night, so unless you want to cruise the Blvd (between 25th Ave N and about 10 Ave S) I%26#39;d use Kings Hwy or Grissom Pkwy.





Rt 501 coming into the beach can backup sometimes as far out as Conway (20 miles from the beach)...so you may want to look at taking Rt 22 (just past Aynor) to Rt 31, to Grissom Pkwy coming into the beach.





If you go to mapquest and just type in Myrtle Beach, that may help to know some of the major roads prior to your arrival...its pretty much 3 north-south roads...Ocean Blvd, Kings Hwy (Bus 17) and Rt 17 Bypass....and all the east/west roads are #%26#39;d Avenues.





:)



Traffic jams?


SInce you are leaving on a Monday and if you avoid rush hours then you should be fine.




It%26#39;s pretty simple. If the ocean is to your right.....you%26#39;re going north. If it%26#39;s on your left....you%26#39;re going south.....lol.....You%26#39;ll do ok......





Believe me.....If you can find your way through Cincinnati, MB will be piece a cake..........




Well put pop. Thank you all!




You know, Pop, there are still some folks that no matter where they are coming from...anywhere from NYC, Chicago, Charlotte...any of the big cities...they still have a problem navigating MB...guess I always thought the same way, of using the ocean as your ';compass'; but for some, seems thats too hard.





:)




When I have visited other beaches, I too use the ocean as my compass. Maybe I said it wrong. I was wondering about traffic congestion, not direction. Sorry if I sounded stupid:)




Pop - your coment about the north- south really tickled me. Sounds like something my dad would have said. We called him pop too :)




Hello all,





I am a TA employee, and through the nominations submitted, this thread was brought to my attention. First, many compliments on the excellent material submitted here.





Second, I just wanted to let everyone know that I took my first shot at preserving this information in a format that will allow you to link to it without always having to ';bump'; it to the top. This is with our new TripAdvisor Inside feature, where anyone can edit and update information.





The page is here:



tripadvisor.com/Travel-g54359-c3703/Myrtle-B鈥?/a>





To see (and edit/create) more Myrtle Beach pages, go here:



tripadvisor.com/Travel-g54359-s1/鈥nside.html





Again, this first pass was meant to be exactly that ... a first pass. From here, it%26#39;s up to you to update and maintain the information, and add things I missed from the thread!!! :-)





Have a great day!




On our way there, we got through Conway with no problem. It was around 11 am, way before the bulk check-in times. So head out to get through Conway early. The way home was a different story...




I strongly suggest the new Robert Grissom Pkwy in getting around MB. I love that road as it saves a lot of time and the traffic is always moving unlike Bus. 17 at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment