Friday, March 30, 2012

Myrtle Beach...good for kids?

I am trying to plan a vacation for this August with my wife and 3 year old son. We were going to go to Mexcio, but we heard alot of good things about Mrytle Beach. My wife and I have never been and I am wondering what kind of activities are there for my son to enjoy, and My wife is looking to really just relax on the beach. Is Myrtle Beach a place to do these things?





Myrtle Beach...good for kids?


I dont want to sound jaded, but MB is a wonderful place to do just that! The beach is is really nice, you can be as close to the action or as far away from it as you want to be....as for the little guy, I%26#39;m sure a sand bucket and a shovel are in order! There are a number of places you can stay that have wonderful kiddie waterparks too!





At that age, I would highly suggest the Ripleys Aquarium at Broadway at the Beach ..the touch tank and Ray Bay there alone would really amaze him! The Childrens Museum, tho%26#39; not huge, is really a great adventure too..of course there is the Pavilion with all the rides and cotton candy to go along with it. and this is the last year for that...plus so many other activities, I%26#39;m sure other posters will list.....and we cant forget about Waccatee Zoo, a small family run zoo...





There is deffinately a reason why MB is at the top of most travel lists for best family beach vacation year after year.....





:)



Myrtle Beach...good for kids?


Yes Myrtle is a good place to do these things.



If your wife wants to relax on the beach North Myrtle would be your best bet. It is a little less crowded and still in the area of the activities for your 3-year old. Or also the Northern end of Myrtle Beach near like the Grande Shores Hotel (Good Rates and pretty nice reviews)





We are going on August 16. We chose the Breakers Paradise Towers. Our son last year loved the pool attractions and cried when we told him it was time to go. He likes the beach but sometimes in August the waves can be a little choppy and scary for a 5-year old.





Other entertainment/attractions good for a 3-year old



-Nascar Speedpark @ the Beach



-Ripley%26#39;s Aquarium @ Broadway @ the beach



-Pavilion or Family Kingdom



-MagiQuest- @ broadway @ the beach



-Myrtle Waves @broadway @ the beach.





Broadway @ the Beach from what I have asked before on this site is closer to the Northern end of Myrtle Beach. Which is also just as quiet as ';North Myrtle Beach';





Some nice hotels that are recommended by family, friends, and the reviews on this site and others like yahoo.



-The Breakers (Paradise Towers Only for me, newer and cleaner)_



-Grande Shores Resort



-Avista Resort (www.avistaresort.com)



-The Sea Island Resort (www.seaislandonthebeach.com)



-The Marriott Grande Dunes (North Myrtle a little costly)



-Sea Mist Resort (www.seamist.com)



-Coral Beach Resort



-Kingston Plantation





Anyone have any other ideas??? I would also like to know more of what to do other than what I have listed.





Also DS1104: Where will you be coming from? This is an issue for some. If you want to drive, fly, etc.




We are partial to the Cherry Grove section of North Myrtle Beach. We have a 4 and 2 year old, and when are in Cherry Grove, we stay at the beach 3-4 hours a day. We also enjoy the pier in Cherry Grove. They have fishing, fishing gear, observatory tour, ice cream, restaurant/grill just opened...they even sell beer. Our kids love it. Myrtle Beach Pelicans is a single A (upper) baseball team. Tickets are cheap and fun for the family. Ballpark has a picnic area and a playground also if kids get bored. There are countless golf courses and mini golf. However, the reason our family goes to the beach is the beach!




MrsMaryland......I will be flying from Chicago, and then renting a car to get around.




If you go to Myrtle Intl%26#39; you wouldn%26#39;t want to drive all the way to North Myrtle Beach. At least I wouldn%26#39;t, especially if it were my first time there. Myrtle Beach is 60 miles long and I think if I%26#39;m not mistaken the airport is on the southern end of MB.





MB Concierge: am I right about that.





So any of the hotels that I listed except maybe the Avista Resort and Marriott Grand Dunes would be good for location. Although, I am pretty sure your wife would enjoy the Marriott Grand Dunes. They have a spa and the pool area isn%26#39;t like normal hotel pools (according the what they said when I called) and what pictures they have online.




MrsMaryland....Why wouldn%26#39;t you want to drive. Is it because of the lenght you would have to drive, or are the roads to confusing.....Let me know.




MrsMaryland....Why wouldn%26#39;t you want to drive. Is it because of the lenght you would have to drive, or are the roads to confusing.....Let me know.




Ihave to say that Coral Beach is a great palce for kids and all the activites are good to.





Mrs. Maryland you are correct about the air port. It is located on King Hwy right across from the end of Ocean Blvd.




Here is also something else good for kids and adults. It is great excercise also. It is Maze Mania.





HEre is there website



http://mazemaniasc.com/




DS1104:



It just depends on how far you want to drive from the airport. Usually when I fly, I don%26#39;t want to be any more than 15 miles or 20 minutes from the airport. Although I live in Maryland driving from 15-20 miles from the airport (Reagan or Dulles) can take me 45 minutes -to over an hour depending on traffic so it just depends on how far you want to drive and where you want to stay. I don%26#39;t mind driving, I drive from Maryland to Myrtle for the past 3-4 years.





-Since the Marriott Grande Dunes is only about 6 miles from the airport you would love that one. It is gorgeous from the website. Not quite Mexico but it looks like it can be a type of hotel you would find in Mexico. (www.myrtlebeachmarriottresort.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment