Thursday, April 26, 2012

Charleston in July -- Oh my! Oh my!

Hi -- Am meeting my daughter in Charleston July 6th for four days. She lives in Raleigh. Went and saw her last year during the hottest time of the summer. I absolutely wilt in humidity and brought all the wrong clothes for that trip. Can someone please give me an idea of the right clothes to wear (p.s. not really into shorts), i.e., kind of material etc. Coming from Vermont so not too sure. Just know I don%26#39;t want to go through what I did last year (when I wore jeans). Thanks so much everyone.

Charleston in July -- Oh my! Oh my!

Weather will be hot in the the daytime and very warm even at night. Even the breezes off the water will be warm. Humidity is ever-present. Be prepared for sudden afternoon showers and storms even in an otherwise sunny day.

Bring light, loose-fitting cotton, comfortable walking shoes, or sandals, that will allow your feet to ';breathe';. You might like a sun hat. The air conditioning in restaurants can be very chilly, so keep a light wrap handy.

Charleston in July -- Oh my! Oh my!

Cotton and loose fitting. Knit tees with a little polyester will do, but cotton will be better. Skimpy tank tops and halters are hot. You want something on that bare skin to protect it and soak up perspiration.

I find that lightweight long gypsy-type skirts (no slip, please!) are much cooler than shorts. Avoid snug well fitting slacks too. Actually, anything that fits close, is going to be hotter than something that allows you to move.


Cotton, cotton, cotton. Or linen.

Light colored, loose-fitting khaki cropped pants with a white 3/4 sleeve shirt is great for walking around.

I wear a lot of casual skirts (cooler and more attractive than shorts) and t-shirt dresses in the summer. Think non-restricting, loose, light colored, breathable fabrics.

Drink plenty of water, use oil-free make-up and sunscreen, keep your hair up off your neck.

I was just looking at www.landsend.com and they have a lot of great stuff in their June Blowout section. I ordered a pair of capri pants in a cotton pique for only $12.99 and a white shirt for under $10. They have lots of casual cotton dresses and skirts as well. (I have no financial interest in Lands End!)

Have fun and don%26#39;t wilt this time.


Oh, and leave your pantyhose in Vermont!

  • drawing a circle
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment