Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Thinking about relocating to SC...nice places? Charleston...

Hi there,

My husband and I are seriously thinking about relocating to either NC or SC..and from what we have seen probably thinking about either Charleston or Greenville. We live in the Portland OR metro area now, and grew up in a small town in southern OR. I am looking for a bigger city, at least 50,000.

We are looking for a bit of the southern hospitality that we hear so much about...Portland, and Oregon in general is pretty stiff and cold. I dont want a faceless big city.. Interesting and historic architecture are very important to us, and I dont think it will be a problem finding that. :) I also was curious to the landscaping of the two cities..parks and nice greenspaces are a consideration, I love tree-lined streets and such.

We are 21 %26amp; 24 years old, no children yet. We do have 2 dogs that are basically our kids. And I should mention that they are a pit bull and a german shepherd, (very freindly) but Breed bans and restrictions are definitley a consideration, and I know nothing about the carolinas in that sense.

We are planning to purchase a house, in about the 200k range. We prefer suburbs, with access to the country roads for driving, but also close enough to city activities. We want a house with a yard for the dogs. We want a freindly city...but one that is preferrably a bit more conservative than Portland, which is why we essentially ruled out Asheville, NC.

We dont have established careers yet...I am currently working in veterinary medicine, but I could do any office/clerical job if I had to. I would love to stay in the animal field, but I doubt that will be a career path. My husband is a new graphic designer, fresh out of school.

How do you feel about these two cities compared to each other? About how far is Greenville to Charleston?

Thank you SO much for any info...all the magazine and websites of course are gorgeous and sound amazing..but nothing beats local opinion.

Thinking about relocating to SC...nice places? Charleston...

You are very lucky to be able to make this kind of move! For twenty years we have been visiting the Charleston area, from New York City, and thinking of what a wonderful place it is to live. In fact, this morning I flew into Charleston. Looking down, I found it difficult to remember that people laid out this beautiful city with no idea that it would ever be viewed from the air.

Open spaces with beautiful gardens and historic architecture is what Charleston is all about. The arts are very active here. The Spoleto Festival (just finished, May and early June) brings performing and visual artist from all over the world, but the cultural life of Charleston is active throughout the year.

Wherever you are in the Charleston area, you are only a few minutes from beautiful, clean, swimable beaches. Many people own boats which they enjoy on the rivers, waterways, and tidal creeks.

The restaurants in Charleston are fabulous even by New York City standards. Also, there are lots of young people here and an active nightlife. If you move to Charleston, you will find lots of friends to enjoy the area with you.

I know that Greenville is a wonderful place, but I hope you will visit Charleston and look at what it has to offer. I envy you the opportunity!

  • networking
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment